A pragmatic new approach to understanding and building trust in B2B relationships based on the latest academic research and leading thinking.
Why should trust be central in your corporate purpose?
Trust is often included in vision statements and corporate objectives, but not in a way that is clearly defined or measured. Words and statements, however, don’t drive behaviour – they need substance in your corporate purpose, mission & vision, strategic objectives, and culture.
The sad reality is that trust is all-to-often compromised or even destroyed in the chase for quarterly sales figures and market share. Recent research by Dr Mark Hollyoake reveals that trust is the key to transforming commoditised, cost-obsessed customer accounts into mutually profitable long-term business relationships.
Undertake our B2B Trust Evaluator and we will co-create with you a clear roadmap to fully understand your trust start-point and thereafter to proactively manage trust with your customers and partners.
The B2B Trust DNA™ Evaluator
More than just another customer survey
The B2B Trust Evaluator is built upon over five years of academic research, concluded in 2020 and undertaken across a number of sectors and at multiple levels on both sides of B2B relationships & partnerships
The academic research shows that the triggers and critical incidents for deepening or damaging trust are not the same (or have equal importance) across both sides of the relationship and within different levels of seniority and engagement.
This means that a “one questionnaire fits all” approach (even a very long one!) can only skim the surface of B2B trust. Dr Mark Hollyoake’s analysis has developed an indexed catalogue of incidents, behaviours and attitudes that are either building or impairing trust in your business. Our approach draws down the right questions to ask the different stakeholders that have been proven to matter to them.
How does it work?
- We ask both sides of the relationship – not just the customer – because trust goes both ways
- We go beyond the buyer / seller interface to ensure we gain responses from different levels & functions on both sides – leadership, operations, support, etc.
- The questions asked (max. 30) are specific to the role, side of the relationship, and level of customer/supplier engagement
- The questions cover the good practices that you should do more of and the bad practices to eradicate
- The approach can be applied for key accounts and partnerships, with dedicated teams on both sides. It does not suit sole trader/small business/B2C relationships
- It is agnostic of the survey tool used – the value is in the IP, not the vehicle by which questions are asked
- We bring both sides of the relationship together to socialise the findings and work interactively to address the areas identified by the Trust Evaluator
This approach gives you a clear understanding of where your current levels of trust reside. Because it’s a diagnostic rather than a ‘silver bullet’ one-question approach it also informs what’s required to improve.
- A view of the level of trust in the relationship that exists between both sides. Is it positive or negative and is it aligned?
- It identifies where trust resides in the relationship, at what level and how strong is it
- The Trust Evaluator provides you with a blueprint/plan to develop the relationship that both sides can deploy
- Indicates the level of sensitivity between each other’s culture, values, characteristics, attitudes and behaviours with a way to manage them
- Provides clear ‘ways of working’ and how we deal with each other to develop the relationship and trust
- Supports and develops trust building, openness and empowerment of relationship representatives at the relevant levels
- Enables you to monitor progress and identify how you are doing against the blueprint/plan
- Provides a relationship road map, specific for each account to unlock mutual value
- A mechanism to manage the relationship, ensuring the expected benefits and outcomes are actually delivered
- The creation of higher levels of integration, collaboration, co-creation and communication in the relationship and other related interested parties
The B2B Trust Evaluator is powered by the B2B Trust DNA™ Model
This model sits at the heart of our methodology. You can see a more detailed unpacking of it by clicking here.
Do you have customers where the balance is all wrong and you are too dependent on them? We can identify how you can develop them to be more interdependent and strategic.
Do some of your customers seem ‘stuck’, with little depth of relationship despite your best efforts? We provide a blueprint to the development of customers that are worth making the journey with.
Is your category/sector so competitive that it’s difficult to stand out or differentiate from the crowd? This approach enables trust to be authentically built in to your proposition.
Are you drowning in contracts and contractual disputes? We show how to move relationships away from SLA ping pong into mutual value creation.
Get in touch
This evidence based practical and pragmatic approach represents real value if you place trust at the centre of your customer relationships and a key reason that people do business with you. Please get in touch if you would like more information.
CHOOSE A SERVICE
Our Services help you maximise value, optimise satisfaction and minimise account attrition: